Saturday, July 23, 2011

Review #13: The Giver by Lois Lowry


Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.

Hi Everyone,

I remember this book from my childhood but I never read it then. I think it had something to do with the man on the cover of the book it just never interested me. I really was missing out. This book kind of reminds me of a futuristic dystopian. I am so glad that I decided to pick it up and read it now.
The Giver transcends time and if you haven't read it you definitely should.

This books is one of my all time favorite reads I have ever read. The story was so interesting and unique I haven't really read anything like it before. It involves a boy named Jonas who lives in this community with all these rules and sameness. So much sameness and rules that everyone doesn't see or feel anything really at all. One of the things that struck me hard was that they can't even see color. I mean imagine, everyone all being the same and concentrating on it so much that you can't even see the color red.

When I started reading this book I didn't know what to expect. This book literally blew my mind it was that good. It is an awesome classic that I think everyone should read. Jonas is such a great character. You really feel for him as he goes along his journey and how he has to keep this secret and memories from the whole community that he grew up with and lived in. It is a very lonely taxing job on a person, to be The Receiver and to have your whole world turned upside down.

The ending of this book was very leave it up to the reader as to what happens. I really didn't like that but this is what makes the book extra good. I wasn't expecting it. I really wanted the book to end with a neat little bow but books that end that way are rarely fantastic. And this book was pure amazing and thought provoking. It really made me think what if our society was like this book. No emotions, memories or really any thoughts. It would be a horrible though perfect place to live.

In the end I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. I definitely recommend reading this book if you haven't. It is a classic that is a must read. The story is so good. I can't rant and rave enough about this book. I wish I had discovered it sooner.

Til next time,

Happy Reading. =]

1 comment:

  1. It's an amazing book I agree ! It's a rather peculiar dystopian community of which I've never heard of before . I wonder where or how Lois Lowry ever came up with such a place like that?
    Anyway I was happy for Jonas in the end , however I wonder if there is going to be a sequel ...I really like Lois Lowry and I probably should read her other books .
    Here is my review of The Giver on goodreads.

    ReplyDelete