Thursday, July 7, 2011

Review #10: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher


Synopsis: Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker–his classmate and crush–who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.
Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

Hello Bloggers,
I saw that this book became number one on the New York Times Best Seller list for paperbacks. So I had to check it out and I read the synopsis. This book really intrigued me. I can't believe I haven't heard of this book til now, when it came out in paperback. So I got a copy of it on my nook and it interested me so much I just had to read it. I devoured this book, I just had to keep reading.
This book has such an important message that everyone should read it. Suicide is something that people need to look out for and help people who are contemplating it. You can't turn your head to something this serious. There are people out there that comit suicide everyday. These people's lives could have been saved if someone just could have saw the signs and saved them.
The girl Hannah in this book should have and could have been saved. These thirteen people that gave Hannah thirteen reasons to go through with killing herself will be forever haunted by the choices they made. 
This book was probably one of the fastest books I have ever read, it was that important to me. Jay Asher had such an emotional story to tell, it really moved me. I was so hoping in the end that Hannah was lying and she didn't go through with it. But that is not how reality really is. Clay the narrator of the story, one of the people/reasons that Hannah sent a tape to, was a really compelling charater. Clay really made me feel for him. He really wished that Hannah didn't go through with it and that he could have done something about it but Hannah pushed him away.
This book was so compelling, thought provoking and emotional that you just have to read this book. Especially with so many people who consider suicide and need help to pull them back over the edge. This book is that important that everyone needs to read it.
I gave this book a 5 out of 5 stars. I can really see why this book is so popular. If you haven't read it please do. And if you see the warning signs of someone who could be suicidal whoever it may be please speak up to them. And if you might be thinking about Suicide please call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK.

I know this isn't a light fun topic but it is serious and needs to be said. Another review will probably be posted tomorrow sometime.

Also just to let you guys know Jay Asher has a blog here. And it links to other sites of his and a bunch of stuff that is interesting if you want to check it out. He is even coming out with another book in November with Carolyn Mackler called the Future of Us, that sounds really awesome, which you can also check out on his blog.

Oh and don't forget to follow me.  

Until next time,

Happy Reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment