Thursday, June 30, 2011

Review #9: Green Lantern



Hello Bloggers,

Yesterday I went and saw Green Lantern. I was so excited to see this movie because I love superhero movies and I don't really know the back story to how Green Lantern came to be well Green Lantern. So I loved seeing exactly how Hal Jordan was chosen to be in the Green Lantern Corps. In this movie Hal Jordan is a cocky test pilot played by Ryan Reynolds, who is a good fit to play a superhero. Abin Sur, a Green Lantern from another planet, crash lands on Earth badly wounded by Parallax, an evil entity that escaped and swallows up people's souls and destroys whole planets. Hal Jordan gets chosen by the ring and becomes a Green Lantern, which starts his journey on having to save our planet from doom. There is also another villain in this story and that is Hector. A scientist who gets infected and turns evil and tries to stop Green Lantern from saving the earth. This movie I thought was awesome. It had a great storyline and I learned more about Green Lantern then I did before. The one place I knew where Green Lantern was from before I saw this movie was from The Justice League of America. Now I know there is a whole corps of them protecting the universe. I also learned about the power ring and all of its capabilities. Its like I was a kid again and I could imagine what it would be like if I was chosen to be a Green Lantern. I mean to be able to craft things from your mind using pure willpower powered by a ring on your finger, sounds awesome to me. Oh and don't even get me started on being able to fly. That would be a power in and of itself that a lot of people would kill to have. The power of flight would be utterly amazing. Ryan Reynolds, I think, did an awesome job playing Green Lantern. Even though I see him more as a comedian, I overlooked it and saw a great hero in this film from him. I really hope this movie becomes into a franchise and many more movies come from it. The one thing I loved from this film was the underlying message. The struggle of fear against willpower. That pure will can defeat any fear you might have. And don't ever let fear ever control you. Its a great message to put out to the world.
Okay now lets get on to the not so great parts of the movie. There was some action in this film, but not enough. There could have been more action when Green Lantern was fighting Parallax but it was too short of a battle. Another thing was they didn't show that much of Oa, the planet where the Green Lantern Corps is, and didn't get into really any of the other Green Lanterns like Sinestro, Kilowog, or Tomar-Re. I didn't really get to know anything about them. The movie did get into a little detail about the Guardians of the Universe though, so that was at least good. Another thing was the confusing back story between Hal, Hector and Carol. I got how Carol and Hal knew each other and that they were/are love interests and both work together as pilots. But I don't get how they knew Hector, the scientist. I didn't get if they knew each other as kids or what was going on with that. Some things should be explained especially when there are people like me who knew really nothing about Green Lantern before seeing this movie.
If you like superhero movies with great story lines or even the Green Lantern comics, I definitely recommend you going to see this movie. Overall this movie was fantastic and I give it a 4 out of 5 stars. =]
Also if you see the movie I recommend you stay til after the credits. There is a sneak peek clip with a small cliffhanger that will, I hope, lead to another movie being produced. I so hope there is more to come from the Green Lantern franchise and that movie number 2 will be made and be even more fantastic then the first.

Until next time bloggers,

Have an Awesome Day and Happy Reading. =]

No comments:

Post a Comment