Saturday, June 18, 2011

Review #5: Divergent by Veronica Roth.


Hello Bloggers,
Hope everyone is having an awesome day and enjoying themselves. I hope everyone is getting some reading in and engrossing themselves in a great read. Or even venturing out and seeing a great film at your local movie theater. Without further ado, here is my review of an awesome book that one of my friends suggested I read and I am so happy I did. So hope you enjoy and thanks for taking the time to read it. =]

Veronica Roth is an up and coming author that just released her first ever book in May. A lot of buzz has been produced from this YA book so I just had to read it. Roth's book Divergent is about a futuristic dystopian city of Chicago were there are 5 different factions of people. These factions are divided up by peoples personalities and what they think led the human race to be corrupt and bad. The five factions are Abnegation- the selfless, Candor-the honest, Amity-the peaceful, Erudite-the intelligent, and Dauntless-the fearless. The story focuses on Beatrice Prior, a girl from Abnegation, who has a choice to make on which faction she wants to join. When everyone turns 16 in this dystopian world they are considered adults and must choose what factions they want to be in on Choosing Day. To determine what faction they might want to be in, each 16 year old must go through an aptitude test of sorts, where a simulation decides the best qualities fit what faction they choose. The thing is the result of Beatrice's aptitude test is that she is Divergent. This is a very dangerous thing, which she has to hide and not speak a word of it to anyone. Beatrice, who nicknames herself Tris after she choose her faction, goes through so many exciting and dangerous things in this book, those dangerous things are what makes this book so awesome.

From the first moment that I read the opening of this book I was hooked. I was literally transported to a whole new world. Roth's writing style is really good, you can tell that she actually knows how to write and planned every word she wrote meticulously. This is one of the most thought provoking books I have ever read. Throughout the whole book I was thinking what faction would I choose? I am still stumped. They all have really great qualities. I would probably be Divergent like Tris. Also this book makes you think about your feelings and what you would do in Tris's situations and if you would/could be as brave as she is. By the end of this book I was sad that it ended. I went on a whirlwind of adventure and feelings that I didn't want it to end. I was so shocked by the ending. I didn't think that was how it would end. I can not wait until Veronica Roth next book, which she just posted on her blog, which is named Insurgent. She is so talented that I can't believe it is her first book. I see many great things in her future. Overall I gave this book a 5 out of 5 stars, it is that great of a book. There were some slow parts but I overlooked that because I loved this book so much and it was such an awesome read. In my opinion, everyone should read this book. It is a must read for 2011. I think that everyone will hear of this book in the coming months. So go grab yourself a copy and get reading. By book or by nook.

P.S Also if you want another review on Divergent my friend also posted her take on it on her blog here.
Also Divergent has its own Facebook page where you can talk about the book and even take a Faction quiz to see which faction you belong too.

Until next time,
Happy Reading. =]

1 comment:

  1. Well done my friend. Love your review. Glad you enjoyed the book and welcome to the Divergent Army :)

    ReplyDelete