Thursday, December 15, 2011

Review #33: Cinder by Marissa Meyer/Cinder Audiobook

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)



  • Publisher: Feiwel & Friends An Imprint of Macmillan
  • Publication date: 1/3/2012
  • Pages: 400

  • Disclaimer: I receive an ebook copy through NetGalley from Macmillan for an honest and fair review. =]
    I also received an Audiobook copy of Cinder through the awesome people at Macmillan Audio for a fair and honest review. =]

    Synopsis:
    Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

    Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

    My Thoughts/Review:
    There are so many awesome books that are coming out in 2012 and this is definitely one of them. I can not tell you how fantastic this book was. At first when I read the synopsis I didn't get it and wasn't sure if I would like it. Well I was dead wrong and DO NOT let it stop you from reading it. This is a sort of retelling of Cinderella told in a uniquely awesome way. Marissa Meyer is an amazing writer and is completely imaginative. I mean her book is filled to the brim with imagination. Cyborgs, Androids, A Plague, Lunar Moon People, a future world filled with new technology, etc... What more could you ask for in a book. This is a novel you can really get yourself invested in. Cinder is a series and I think there are supposed to be three more books in the series and I can't wait for them.   

    From the first words I listened to and read I just knew Cinder would be a fantastic book. It opens in such a unique way and if you have read the book you know what I am talking about. If you choose to listen to the clip below it is in the clip. The audio book was truly amazing. I really loved listening to it. The narrator was really talented. She had such a wide range of voices that she used throughout the book for all the different characters. I listened to the audio book everywhere on my MP3 player, on my breaks and lunches at work and even before going to bed. The novel is broken into 4 sections and at the beginning of each section there is a quote from the original Cinderella and I thought that was just genius. I am completely a fan of quotes and these just added to the book even more. This book was so addicting and fantastic I had to listen/read it whenever I could.

    Here is a Clip of the awesome Cinder Audiobook:
    Cinder webclip by TheBookshelfRev

    Cinder was such an amazing character. I really related to Cinder. Everyone that reads this should be able to relate to Cinder. Everyone at some point in their life has felt like they were an outcast or different from everyone else. Cinder feels like this everyday because she is a Cyborg. I really loved her personality and her strength. All of the characters in this book had many different dynamics that made you like all of them and hate some of them at the same time. I could understand why Adri and Pearl got mad at Cinder but I didn't like the way they treated her and hated them both the same. Two of my other favorite characters were Iko and Peony. Iko is Cinders friend and an Android who has such a great personality that made her come to life off the pages. Peony is one of Cinders stepsisters and the only person that is truly nice to Cinder. I really liked her for her kindness and simple innocence of the world. Another thing I loved was the world and Eastern Commonwealth the book was set in. It is kind of dystopian like in where this world could happen in the distant future. I would never have thought up this brillant future and way this earth turned out but that is why Marissa Meyer is such an imaginative writer

    This book was really my kind of book. I love Sci-fi and Dystopian type books and if you like these genres then this is definitely a book for you too. I guessed the big plot twist that happens at the end but that didn't take away from the book at all. I definitely suggest that everyone get there hands on a copy of this in 2012 and read it. Since I got Cinder from NetGalley I don't have a physical copy of it and since it was so good I think I will have to go out and buy one. Cinder is definitely a book that deserves a place on my bookshelf. One of the most unique books I have ever read. Meyer has a great future and career in writing ahead of her as long as she continues to write amazing books. It definitely is a great thing that this is only book one of a series that I know will be fantastic I can not wait to read the sequel of The Lunar Chronicles. I don't want to wait all this time til 2013 for the next one. You need to pick up this book and read it. It was purely awesome and amazing in every way.


    Overall I give this book...
    So Creative and Original, you have to buy this book. =]
    5 out of 5 Stars

    Links to Check Out/Preorder:
    Goodreads
    Barnes and Noble
    Amazon
    Marissa Meyer Website
    Marissa Meyer Facebook
    The Lunar Chronicles Facebook


    Thanks for Visiting and Happy Reading

    -Michael


    

    2 comments:

    1. I loved this one too! I'm excited for the upcoming installments because I know this is definitely a series I'm going to obsess over. Great review!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I adored Cinder as well! And I really like the sound of the audiobook, I'll have to check it out when it releases.

      ReplyDelete