Thursday, December 20, 2012

Review: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

Les Miserables
Les Miserbles by Victor Hugo
Paperback, Abridged, 400 pages
Published December 12th 1982 by Ballantine Books
 
Synopsis:
 
Few novels ever swept across the world with such overpowering impact as Les Misérables. Within 24 hours, the first Paris edition was sold out. IN other great cities of the world it was devoured with equal relish.

Sensational, dramatic, packed with rich excitement and filled with the sweep and violence of human passions, Les Misérables is not only superb adventure but a powerful social document. The story of how the convict Jean-Valjean struggled to escape his past and reaffirm his humanity, in a world brutalized by poverty and ignorance, became the gospel of the poor and the oppressed.

 
My Thoughts/Review:

 
I want to start off by saying that I am not a classics person at all. I started off thinking that I could be. I bought a whole bunch of classics thinking that I wanted to read them all and that I could read them. Well, it turns out I can't. I have a bunch of classics sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. I feel that I will get to them when I get to them. That being said, I wanted to read Les Miserables because I have seen the play and the old movie and wanted to read it in preparation for seeing the new movie that is being released on December 25th.

Today, Christmas and December 25th is five days away so I am releasing my review today so all of you can read it to go and see the movie and possibly read the book. Since, I am not a classics person, I new that the only real way I would be able to get through this book was if I read in with an audiobook, so that is what I did.

Overall, I really loved this book, I didn't think I would, especially because of the storyline and genre. I am not a historical fiction reader at all and most of the time I can never get into that type of a book. I have to admit that there were some parts of this book that I did zone off on and also other parts where I didn't understand what the characters were doing or talking about. This is the main reason why I awarded this book 4 out of 5 stars instead of 5 out of 5. Since this book takes place in France, alot of french terms and street names are used and it can really throw a person off.

Fortunately, the audiobook was really good at pronouncing the words and kept the storying going and kept me attached to it. One thing I was suprised by was that I thought this book was supposed to be about revolution and an uprising of people but I didn't really get that too much. I got more of the perspective of the poor people and how people overcome the struggles that befell them in live.

This is going to be one of my favorite classics that I have read, especially because I haven't read that many. The characters in the book are what really bring it all together for me in my mind. They are all relatable and bring their own stories to the mix, even the "bad" characters did. The ending was really good and brought the story full circle to a place that could leave the reader feeling peaceful about it.

Practically eveyone knows the story of Les Miserables and I know many people are going to see the movie. If you haven't read the book and love the story of Les Miserable you have to read it.  I definitely recommend this book to anyone that is looking for an amazing classic to read and anyone who doesn't think they like classics should read this too, I thoroughly enjoyed it. =]
 
Overall, I give this book:
An Amazing Classic that I thoroughly enjoyed. =]
4 out of 5 Stars
Links to Check it Out:
Thanks for Visiting
and
Happy Reading. =]
 
-Michael
 


2 comments:

  1. I got 300 pages into the unabridged version, and what I read was truly amazing. It's one of my long-term goals to finish it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get back to finishing, you should definitely do it soon. =]

      Delete