Thursday, January 24, 2013

Review: Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck

Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck
Hardcover, 403 pages
Published January 11th 2011 by Sterling
 
Synopsis:
 
Passion. Fate. Loyalty.

Would you risk it all to change your destiny?

The last thing Kelsey Hayes thought she’d be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year-old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world. But that’s exactly what happened. Face-to-face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together an ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.

Tiger’s Curse is the exciting first volume in an epic fantasy-romance that will leave you breathless and yearning for more.
 
My Thoughts/Review:
 
I had some high expectations for this book because I know a ton of people just love this series. This book met some of my expectations perfectly but wasn't completely what I thought it would be. For some reason, I thought it would be a different kind of book then the one I got to read. It kind of disappointed me in some spots, maybe if I didn't hype it up too much in my head, I would have liked it better. 

I loved the beginning and how Kelsey's journey started and how we as the reader learn about the curse. Ever since I started this book and looked at some of the reviews for it I learned that this book starts off kind of slow. I couldn't agree more with this statement. The beginning was really good and interesting but then I thought the story kind of didn't get off the ground fast enough like I wanted it to after Kelsey learns about the curse. Overall, I loved every part of the adventure that Kelsey has to go on with Ren, even though I wish the more exciting parts happened sooner in the book. I do also get that Houck had to slowly get to the climax to build up the suspense of everything that is happening to them, but she really could have made it more action packed in the beginning.

 I loved the budding love romance that was featured in this book. I didn't like how Kelsey always thought she wasn't worthy of that love. No one should think that way about themselves like Kelsey did. This fact kept bothering me all throughout the book. I don't know why Kelsey couldn't just except the love that was being given to her, it made me hate her just a little bit. It is like the Kelsey from the first half of the book, which I loved learning about, didn't match the Kelsey at the end. I did understand and get why Kelsey was feeling that way about herself but no one wants that in a main character, at least I didn't. The protagonist is supposed to grow, not regress, toward the ending.

The world that Houck build was completely wonderful and magical. I loved learning about India, the culture and the mythology that they have their. I loved learning about Durga, Hanuman, Kishkindha and everything about the first part of the adventure that Kelsey and Ren have to go on to break the curse. I can't wait to read the next books in the series for the simple fact to learn how the will try and continue to break the curse. Also I did like the possible love triangle that could happen later in the series with the other guy character, maybe Kelsey will finally let herself be loved by someone. Mr. Kadam was another character that I really liked. I wish he had more involvement in the actual adventure parts of their journey. I really hope later in the series we get to see much more of his skills and see more of the grandfatherly role he is playing with Kelsey. I also can't wait to see what else Fanindra has in store for the series.

I recommend this book to anyone that likes YA, adventures and fantasy romance. It was a really good book with some minor flaws I didn't like personally. I can not wait to see how the adventure continues in the next book especially with the somewhat of a cliffhanger in this book. Definitely read this series if you think you would like it. =]
 

Overall, I give this book:
 
 
"Awesome Indian filled adventure that will take you on a harrowing quest" =]
4 out of 5 Stars
 
Links to Check it Out:
 
add to goodreads
 
 
Recommendations:
Life of Pi The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1)
 
 
Thanks for Visiting
 
and
 
Happy Reading. =]
 
-Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment