Monday, November 26, 2012

Review: Ten by Gretchen McNeil

Ten
Hardcover, 294 pages
Published September 18th 2012 by Balzer + Bray
 
Synopsis:
 
SHHHH!
Don't spread the word!
Three-day weekend. House party.
White Rock House on Henry Island.
You do NOT want to miss it.


It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?
 
My Thoughts/Review
 
All I can say is this book was fan-freakintastic. I was hooked from the premise and then again from the very first page. When I heard this book was based on And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie, I knew right off the bat that I would love this book and my expectations were met and then some. I can not believe how good it was. I really thought that I would be able to figure out who the killer was in the end, but I was completely blind sided. I don't think anyone would be able to get it. It started a little slowly in the beginning but that is what really set the mood for the later half of the book where it got really suspenseful and thrilling. The tempo of the book kept rising and rising til the climax at the end. I loved the blend and mix of different people that were invited to the party and how they were all connected in the end. And the way they each were each killed off was a perfect way a murder story could have gone. The background story that connected them all together really made perfect sense and was very well thought out.

Meg, the main character, had a real impressionable quality on me. I really loved her voice and how she thought about things. She had a really intelligent mind that saw things in a different light. I kept changing my mind on who I thought the killer was based on what she was thinking. The book twisted and turned in many different directions, that at each person dieing off I really didn't know which way it was going to go. I was turning around so many different alternatives in my mind that I wasn't really expecting the way that it ended. The suspense, intrigue and mystery of this book was so good. My heart was in my throat multiple times.

McNeil is a complete genius and wrote the perfect story, I found absolutely nothing wrong with it. I can't believe I haven't read anything by her before. I am definitely going to pick up her other book Possess and read it as soon as I can. I will also be reading and can't wait for all of her future books she comes out with.  I loved Ten completely and would recommend it to absolutely anyone. If you are interested in this book, definitely pick up a copy soon. You will not be disappointed at all. Ten is one of the best mystery thrillers I have read in a very long time.
 
 
Overall, I give this book:
One of the best, suspenseful, thrilling mysteries I have read in a very long time. =]
5 out of 5 Stars
Links to Check it Out:
 
 
 
Thanks for Visiting
 
and
 
Happy Reading. =]
-Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment