Thursday, October 11, 2012

Review: Sweetly by Jackson Pearce

Sweetly (Fairytale Retellings, #2) 
(Click Picture to Add to your Goodreads)
Hardcover, 310 pages
Published August 23rd 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
 
Synopsis:
 
As a child, Gretchen's twin sister was taken by a witch in the woods. Ever since, Gretchen and her brother, Ansel, have felt the long branches of the witch's forest threatening to make them disappear, too.

Years later, when their stepmother casts Gretchen and Ansel out, they find themselves in sleepy Live Oak, South Carolina. They're invited to stay with Sophia Kelly, a beautiful candy maker who molds sugary magic: coveted treats that create confidence, bravery, and passion.

Life seems idyllic and Gretchen and Ansel gradually forget their haunted past -- until Gretchen meets handsome local outcast Samuel. He tells her the witch isn't gone -- it's lurking in the forest, preying on girls every year after Live Oak's infamous chocolate festival, and looking to make Gretchen its next victim. Gretchen is determined to stop running and start fighting back. Yet the further she investigates the mystery of what the witch is and how it chooses its victims, the more she wonders who the real monster is.

Gretchen is certain of only one thing: a monster is coming, and it will never go away hungry.
 
My Thoughts/Review:
 
For some reason, I didn't think I would like this book. I don't know why, I really loved Sisters Red, the fairytale retellings companion book to Sweetly. Maybe it had to do with the synopsis on the jacket cover. I mean it mentions a candy maker and the whole twin missing sister thing. For some reason it didn't draw me in as much. Boy was I wrong to think I wouldn't really like this book, I loved it. It has the same amazing qualities as Sisters Red but in its own unique qualities. I really loved every single thing about it. The aspects I loved was the missing twin that disappeared, the move to the amazing small town, the awesome candymaker, learning how to shoot a gun, etc...

Sweetly is another amazing installment in Jackson Pearce's writing career. She is just absolutely awesome. Her videos are amazingly funny and her books are even more fantastic. If you haven't read a book by Jackson Pearce, what are you waiting for, they are all must have reads. It is like Jackson takes the time to actually think about each word she is writing and what impact it might have on the reader. She is an absolute brillant story teller that has come up with a world that comes to life on the pages.  Even though there is danger on every turn of the page I didn't want to leave the place she created. That is why I love all of her book so far.

The characters in Sweetly were amazing. Gretchen, the main character, had an amazing voice and was so compelling. I loved watching her grow throughout the whole entire story and how she moved past what happened and how she became stronger and a whole different person. The background characters were also compelling. I loved Ansel, Sophia Kelly and Samuel. They were all unique and brought there own personalitites to the story. I also really liked the setting. The small town of Live Oak was so pituresque and I didn't want to see it go. All of the scenes in the story were well thought out and I loved the direction it went in. Another thing I should probably mention which might be kind of spoilery was that I didn't really think this book would include the Fenris that are a main point in Sisters Red. It was a shock to me but it totally made sense and completed the book. The whole story and plot points were really thought out and had an overall togetherness that made me really love this book. The ending and the clues definitely lead into some aspects of the plot in the next book and I can't wait to get started on it. I would definitely suggest this fairytale retellings series to absolutely anyone. I really can not wait to read more from Jackson Pearce. She is an awesome writer and I will read anything she puts out.
 
Overall, I give this book:
 
Intensive, amazing, pull-you-in fairytale of a read. =]
5 out of 5 Stars
Links to Check it Out:
 
Thanks for Visiting
and
Happy Reading. =]
-Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment