Monday, February 20, 2012

Review: Pure by Julianna Baggott

Pure

Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Publication date: 2/8/2012
Pages: 431
Synopsis:
We know you are here, our brothers and sisters . . .

Pressia barely remembers the Detonations or much about life during the Before. In her sleeping cabinet behind the rubble of an old barbershop where she lives with her grandfather, she thinks about what is lost-how the world went from amusement parks, movie theaters, birthday parties, fathers and mothers . . . to ash and dust, scars, permanent burns, and fused, damaged bodies. And now, at an age when everyone is required to turn themselves over to the militia to either be trained as a soldier or, if they are too damaged and weak, to be used as live targets, Pressia can no longer pretend to be small. Pressia is on the run.

Burn a Pure and Breathe the Ash . . .

There are those who escaped the apocalypse unmarked. Pures. They are tucked safely inside the Dome that protects their healthy, superior bodies. Yet Partridge, whose father is one of the most influential men in the Dome, feels isolated and lonely. Different. He thinks about loss-maybe just because his family is broken; his father is emotionally distant; his brother killed himself; and his mother never made it inside their shelter. Or maybe it's his claustrophobia: his feeling that this Dome has become a swaddling of intensely rigid order. So when a slipped phrase suggests his mother might still be alive, Partridge risks his life to leave the Dome to find her.

When Pressia meets Partridge, their worlds shatter all over again.

My Thoughts/Review:
Pure is one of the best reads I have read this year. In my opinion this is one of the most thought provoking books I have ever read. It really gets you thinking on a more emotional and deep level. Imagine a world where there have been detonations similar to an atomic bomb that changes the whole world. People are fused to objects, other people, animals and even the earth. But some people are perfectly fine and are called Pures because they made it into the dome. This novel has so many levels of depth within its pages. It has everything from conspiracies, discriminaton, a coming of age tale, and dystopian qualities. Pure was so enjoyable and different to read. All of the characters play an important part and are so unique and bring a new level of depth to the story. I really think that everyone will like this book and it will transcend generations. This book in my opinion will become a classic that later generations will enjoy. 

Pure includes things that are real and could happen in real life. It really gets down to the nitty gritty and portrays how human beings act and really are. I mean the things that all of these people have to deal with are astounding. You wouldn't think that what happens in Pure could happen today but it is real and it definitely could. Julianna Baggott is such an amazing profound writer. I can not believe I haven't read anything by her before. Her writings skills are nothing I have ever experienced before. It is like she got inside my head and made me question things I wouldn't have normally questioned as I was reading this book.

I really just loved Pure for its uniqueness and the way it got to me. Pure has such an astounding affect. All of the characters flow together, the writing is simply amazing and the end is unexpectedly shocking. Pure really gets to your gut and soul and once you start reading it you won't find an excuse to put it down. Go out and buy this book because it will get to you too in a really good way. I really can't wait for the next books in this series to come out. =]

Overall I give this book...


 Astounding, Profound and Unexpectedly Shocking. =]
5 out of 5 Stars

Links to Check it Out:



Thanks for Visiting and Happy Reading. =]

-Michael

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous review. Although I wouldn't say it's one of my all time favorite reads, it's definitely one of those books that sticks with you for a long time.

    I will definitely want to pick up the second book because I felt I invested so much time into the characters that I want to know what happens.

    Nerd Girls at Books to the Sky

    ReplyDelete